Wednesday, November 5, 2008

...politics again...sorry...

Ok, so here I am going on my political soapbox yet again. I didn't think it would be quite this soon. But in the last few days I have been attacked incessantly, both online and in person, about my political choices, so I've decided to clear thing up a bit.

This was my response to the most recent attack I recieved on Facebook:

What did I ever say about compulsory religion or about religious freedom to marry? (and by the way, marriage is not a legal freedom, it's not even a right that's ever mentioned in the constitution--that's because it didn't need to be--IT'S NOT A CREATION OF THE STATE. It's recognized by the state as an institution that predated the government as we know it.) I'm very aware that my ancestors came to this country in order to be able to worhip God according to the dictates of their own conscience.

Anyway, the religious freedoms I was referring to was my right as a citizen to believe as I feel is right and not be sued for being true to my religous beliefs. (Like the doctor in San Diego-sued because she had moral misgivings against inseminating a lesbian couple...the minister in New Jersey- sued because he wouldn't sanction a civil union for a gay couple...the photograher in New Mexio-sued because he didn't want to photograph a commitment ceremony.)

I don't want to be the next person whose constitutional, 1st amendment, rights are ignored because of this new national motto of "sue anyone and everyone who disagrees with you".

No comments: